LIFT Orlando Board Update
March 6, 2017
a special prayer request
1. Remembering Naomi Bassa: This weekend we had a terrible loss in the neighborhood. Founding member of the West Lakes Partnership, Ms. Naomi Bassa, passed away suddenly on Saturday morning. She was a spiritual giant; a prayer warrior for LIFT and the Communities of West Lakes. She will be terribly missed. The impact of her passing is felt deeply by the members of the staff and board who had an opportunity to interact with her. I for one, will forever miss her hugs, for they always came with a spirit-filled blessing that strengthened me for the work. Please pray for her family and the neighborhood. She's the one celebrating now!
community quarterback update
2. New Staff: Sherry Paramore has been hired as our new Director of Development. She comes to us with a proven track record of success, raising millions of dollars in major gifts year after year. She has extensive grant writing, public relations and leadership experience along with deep roots and a solid reputation in our local community as an accomplished and respected fundraiser after years at UNCF and Bethune-Cookman.
3. New Grants:
- A $200,000 JP Morgan Chase grant will be announced this week to fund our small business engagement and feasibility studies for the WestLakes Economic Accelerator Lab. This grant also helps fund our new Real Estate Director position.
- A $250,000 The Father's Table Foundation unrestricted grant was funded for the West Lakes Community School's Health and Wellness Campus.
4. New Offices: An OCPS Lease has been drafted for LIFT Orlando to rent the 3,700 sq. ft. building at Orange Center Elementary at a rate of $1,800 a month to cover security, cleaning, and utilities. This is a almost half the amount budgeted for our current space.
mixed income housing
5. Pendana at West Lakes Phase 1: The informational website for apartments is finally live. Check it out at: livependana.com.
Phase 3: While we are waiting for the City of Orlando to resolve matters regarding the Yuken Property, partnership conversations with Habitat for Humanity have advanced quite well. We are confident they will be an outstanding partner for our new single family, mixed income homes across the street from Phase 1.
cradle to career education & COMMUNITY HEALTH AND WELLNESS
6. The West Lakes Community School: Orlando's first Pre-School through 12th Grade Community School is coming together with early commitments of participation from MVP Sportsplex, the Boys and Girls Club, Orange Blossom Family Health, SunTrust and a written letter of intent from the Bainum Family Foundation.
7. MVP Families Field Trip: MVP Families hosted their very first MVP Families Field Trip with a small group of students and their parents. They enjoyed a day downtown visiting the Orange County History Center and the Orange County Library's Melrose Center for Technology, Innovation and Creativity.
long term economic viability
8. Job Support Services BETA : The Jobs Support Services Program (formerly Jobs Triage) launches its BETA with dedicated support from Dennis Murrill, our Street Team leader, who's serving as the Lead Recruiter. Over 50 unemployed residents have been identified and signed up as seeking employment and are moving through the pipeline process of applications and referrals.
9. Project Catalyst: Conversations for Project Catalyst continue to surmount obstacles as new partners come alongside the effort, such as a public / private partnership to develop a parking solution that serves the call center, the Bowl and the City.
honoring community rock stars
10. Congratulations Bill Dymond and Steve Hogan: I must take a moment to congratulate our very own, Bill Dymond and Steve Hogan for their upcoming recognitions by the EDC for the prestigious James B. Greene Award and the Chairman's Award, respectively.
Also, our own Sandy Hostetter is featured this month on the March cover of I-4 Business Magazine for her exceptional leadership in business and in the community.
I know I speak for all of us on this team and the entire community when I say that we are all so proud and grateful to have you as leaders in our community and as friends on this amazing journey.
215 East Central Boulevard
Orlando, FL 32801